A brief overview of what has occurred with Codiac Regional RCMP over the weekend from the period of Friday March 1st at 1600hrs to Monday March 4th at 0800hrs for your info:
173 files created as a result of calls for service, of those:
• 1 robbery with weapon (reported to front desk, alleged gun)
• 1 assault causing bodily harm (items used: baseball bat)
• 0 aggravated assault
• 8 assault investigations
• 0 sexual assault investigation
• 0 luring minors over internet
• 1 assault on police officer
• 5 investigations of uttering threats against a person
• 0 sudden death investigations
• 2 missing persons (both located)
• 0 criminal harassment investigations
• 3 break & enters (3 residences)
• 7 possible impaired drivers
• 8 collisions; 2 with injury, 3 property damage reportable, 3 non reportable
• 4 fail to stop/remain at accident scene
• 8 false/abandoned 911 call
• 6 persons related to mental health
• 3 vehicle reported stolen (2 cars and 1 truck)
• 3 theft from vehicle
• 4 theft under $5000.00 investigations
• 0 theft over $5000.00 investigations
• 0 theft under (shoplifting)
• 1 fraud investigation under $5000.00
• 0 fraud investigation over $5000.00
• 5 mischief investigations - damage to property
• 0 public mischief investigation
• 18 false alarms
• 5 assistance general public
• 9 intoxicated persons detention act
• 12 suspicious person/vehicle/property investigations
• 9 disturbing the peace
• 6 municipal by-laws
• 24 persons detained in cells
OCC stats from Friday midnight to Sunday midnight:
Admin calls - 1155
911 calls - 365
Fire - 48
PDRM (police radio monitor) - 1102
A grim look at the former Saint John Councillor facing child pornography charges
Undated - The undercover police officers who work the web in search of child abusers and pornographers are accustomed to being told lies. As Toronto Police Sergeant Paul Krawczyk, one of the globe's leading investigators in the grim world of online child exploitation, says, in the chat rooms such men frequent, they often exaggerate their access to children, the number of boys or girls they "have," or the amount of pornography they have. "A lot of the time, it's bravado," Sgt. Krawczyk says. And that's where Donald (Donnie) Snook is alleged to be different. "I never would have guessed all that stuff [could be] true," Sgt. Krawczyk told Postmedia in a telephone interview this week. "I have never seen it." Mr. Snook is a 40-year-old Saint John, N.B., man who appears to have constructed his entire life around his sexual appetite. [.] Though he now faces eight charges - possessing and making child pornography, including images of an unidentified boy who was under 14 at the time of the alleged abuse, and three counts of sexual touching - other alleged victims have since come forward to police, Postmedia has learned. Additional charges are expected. [.] He was arrested Jan. 9 at his home, where RCMP broke down the door, due as an unsealed warrant puts it "to exigent circumstances," meaning Mr. Snook allegedly had a boy inside police believed "could be at risk". Earlier that day, while online with Sgt. Krawczyk and offering to "cam" (video camera) with a boy after school, the user alleged to be Mr. Snook told the officer "somon [someone] at door..s u latr?" [.] Meantime, in a stellar example of the inter-jurisdictional co-operation that is the norm in this sort of policing, Constable Gordon Redfurn, of the Saint John's family protection unit and a child-pornography expert, was involved, and by November last year, the RCMP's specialist Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) unit based in Fredericton were now the lead investigators. [.] ICE unit officers then even did tests near several Martha Avenue addresses, matching signal strengths with various laptops. The power-pole camera went up on Nov. 29, enabling the police to be sure that when Sgt. Krawczyk was chatting with the user, Mr. Snook was actually in the house. [.] But perhaps the most telling - and chilling - remark was this: "the hunt of my life," he told Sgt. Krawczyk last March 23 of his quest for boys. "God it's a wonder I can do anything else." If the police are right, he didn't. Christie Blatchford (National Post) Extensive media coverage - 10+ related articles
Several fraud charges laid
Codiac RCMP and District 4 RCMP have charged a 54-year-old Nova Scotia man with several counts of fraud. Horace Junior Smith, also known as Ron Smith, was charged yesterday in relation to several incidents in southeastern New Brunswick. Smith, operating under the company name of C4 Construction or Powermax Construction, is alleged to have defrauded several clients. Smith is accused of entering into agreements to do paving work, starting the work and collecting partial or complete payment and then failing to complete the work. Smith is charged with fraud in two cases from District 4 and three cases in Codiac RCMP jurisdiction. All these incidents happened from May to September 2012. The proceedings were adjourned to March 22. It is possible that other occurrences were not reported. Anyone who feels they may have been the victim of a similar incident is urged to report it to police.
Robbery suspect charged: Suspect charged in connection with armed robbery last fal...
Codiac RCMP have arrested a suspect in connection with a robbery at a Moncton business last fall. Gary Sloan, 31, of Moncton, was arrested on Tuesday and appeared in Moncton provincial court yesterday. Sloan was charged with robbing the Xclusive Boutique on Oct. 1 while armed with a knife and possession of a knife for a dangerous purpose. The Moncton Crown objected to his release and a bail hearing was set for March 15. Police say the store was robbed around 10:20 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 1. A lone male entered the Xclusive Boutique at the corner of Mountain Road and Terris Avenue, approached the employee armed with a knife and demanded money from the cash register. The man fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash and a few items. The woman working at the boutique was not injured during the incident. On Feb. 12, police released a surveillance photo of the suspect in the hope it would generate tips from the public and lead to an arrest.
Metro driver abandons car after crash
Codiac RCMP investigators are contemplating possible charges against a man who crashed his car yesterday and fled the scene. The incident occurred around 12:30 p.m. on Wheeler Boulevard at the west-bound Mountain Road exit. A man driving a small car left the highway and went off the ramp, crashing into a tree. "The male driver left the scene in another vehicle and was later located," said Const. Damien Theriault. "We haven't yet made a determination on charges." The matter is still being investigated, so it wasn't immediately clear where the 44-year-old Moncton man was located or how police tracked him down. When asked if police believe the man fled the crash scene because he was driving impaired, Theriault said investigators are still looking into what happened.
Moncton woman clubs husband with rolling pin
A Moncton woman was placed on probation yesterday for smacking her husband over the head with a rolling pin. Shawna Anne Stewart, 59, appeared before Moncton provincial court Judge Camille Vautour for sentencing after earlier pleading guilty to assault with a weapon and two counts of breaching a court undertaking by being intoxicated.
Letters to the Editor Criminal cretins and a 'no win' insurance plan
Are the people of New Brunswick aware that under the provisions of the N.B. Standard Auto Policy if a motorist or pedestrian is struck by an unknown (hit and run) driver, he or she is responsible for the resulting damage to person and property?...I relate a recent incident involving my 83-year-old mother..She was struck from the rear by a cretin travelling at an excessive speed, near the driver's side rear bumper and along the side, tearing off her side view mirror, dislodging the front bumper and imploding the driver's window…The Codiac RCMP was called from her home and the response time was remarkable; within an hour. Photographs and statement were taken. Dealing with the automobile insurer was a different matter.
Elderly Dieppe man denies resisting arrest: ? Accused says Mountie assaulted him
A Dieppe man testified in his own defence yesterday, denying he resisted arrest and caused a disturbance during a traffic stop. Eldon Lumsden, 80, told the court a Codiac RCMP officer knocked him down, punched him repeatedly and kicked him during the incident on Sept. 14, 2011. Lumsden said he barely said anything to the Mountie and didn't offer any resistance, but was left battered and bloodied. "He grabbed me from behind and knocked me down and said 'I'm going to charge you with resisting arrest,'" said the accused, in Moncton provincial court. "Then he kicked me in the face." The Mountie told a very different story when he was the first witness called by Crown prosecutor Anthony Allman. Const. Philippe Pauzé told the court he was driving on Champlain Street, heading towards Moncton around 2 p.m. when a car made an unsafe lane change in front of him. That car returned to the inside lane and when Pauzé came up alongside it, the driver was gesturing and appeared to be mouthing words at him. He activated his lights and pulled Lumsden over. Pauzé testified when he got out of the car, Lumsden did the same. He asked Lumsden repeatedly to return to his vehicle, but was ignored. When they two men reached each other, the constable pushed Lumsden and he fell down on the sidewalk. Pauzé said he was trying to bring the man under control, but Lumsden wouldn't let him handcuff him, so he had to escalate his force......The fracas attracted a crowd of bystanders and the Crown called two witnesses who supported the constable's version, including a man from P.E.I. who stopped to help the officer because the elderly man was "resisting, cursing, roaring and screaming" during the altercation.....Judge Pierre Arseneault adjourned his decision to March 18.
Province ranks high for violent crime: report
New Brunswick has the highest rate of violent crime involving victims aged 15 and older in Eastern Canada, Statistics Canada has reported. According to police data from 2011, New Brunswick recorded a violent crime rate of 1,325 per 100,000 people - higher than any other Atlantic province and significantly greater that Ontario and Quebec, which had the lowest rates in the country. New Brunswick also reported a higher rate of attacks against women (1,376 per 100,000) than against men (1,272)… "Younger women were most at risk of violent victimization, according to both police-reported and self-reported victimization data," the statistical agency stated in its report. "The risk generally decreases as women age."
Le nombre de victimes de la route est en hausse au N.-B.
De 2010 à 2011, 22 personnes ont succombé à leurs blessures après un accident de la route au Nouveau-Brunswick, selon une étude de l'Institut canadien d'information sur la santé rendue publique jeudi…Le Nouveau-Brunswick a par ailleurs le deuxième plus haut taux d'hospitalisations liées aux accidents de la route parmi les provinces canadiennes…La GRC n'était pas en mesure de commenter ce nouveau rapport de l'Institut canadien d'information sur la santé, mais a affirmé faire tout ce qui est possible en matière de prévention pour éviter que des accidents se produisent sur les routes de la province.
Daycare child porn case is adjourned
A child pornography case was adjourned yesterday for another couple of weeks to give investigators more time to search seized computers. Crown prosecutor Karen Lee Lamrock told the court investigators seized a number of electronic devices and need more time to analyze the contents. Judge Troy Sweet scheduled the matter to return to court March 18. Jeffery Adam Amos, 32, appeared in the prisoners dock and was represented by defence lawyer Scott Fowler. He was supposed to enter pleas on two counts of making child pornography, one count of possession of child pornography and two counts of voyeurism.
Woman arrested after girls hit by a vehicle
Codiac RCMP have made an arrest after an assault involving a vehicle that occurred in Moncton on Friday night. At around 11 p.m., Codiac RCMP members were dispatched to King Street following a report of a hit-and-run. The investigation revealed that two teenage girls were hit by a vehicle. They sustained non-life threatening injuries in the incident and they were taken to hospital but later released…The victims and the driver were known to each other and they had contact via social media and phone prior to the incident…The driver of the vehicle, a 19-year-old woman from Moncton, was arrested shortly after. She was released on a promise to appear in court at a later date.
I've included Councilor Cassista in this message for sharing with the Riverview Neighbourhood Watch too. Please find the crime map attached as well.